When Asked What You Want for Christmas or Hanukkah –
Tell them you would like a tablet!
Tablets are the Ideal Gift for Older Adults
• Growing Popularity of Text Messaging • News at Your Fingertips 24/7
• Tablets on the Go with Mobile Connection
• Mobile Network Connection – Know Before You Buy
• Put a Library at Your Fingertips • Amazon Kindle Ebooks and E-reader
• Games on Tablets – Solitaire, Crosswords, Sudoku and 1000’s More
• Lightweight and Easy to Take Everywhere
• Movies, Music, TV – Streaming on Tablets
• Which Tablet to Get? Factors to Consider • Android or Apple Tablet?
• When you think ‘I Need Help Using Technology‘ – think ‘M.A.T.T.’
Easily Keep in Touch with Friends and Family
If keeping in frequent and easy contact with friends and family is something you enjoy – then a tablet (iPad or Android) that allows easy creation of messages using text, photographs, emojis (small icons), and more will be perfect choice!
Growing Popularity of Text Messaging
Children, teens, young adults and your grown children prefer TEXT MESSAGES to email messages – for easier and quicker access.
If quick and easy contact with friends and family is high on your must-have list – a tablet will be your best and easiest choice.
News at Your Fingertips, 24/7
If keeping up on the news of the day is high on your must-have list, a tablet is also a good choice.
Tablets, using WiFi (Wireless Fidelity) internet connectivity, provide access to internet resources using either the browser or news-related apps (free and premium apps).
You can check news-related websites such as DallasNews.com (Dallas Morning News), CNN.com. Or view anyone of 1000’s of free and premium websites dedicated primarily to news. Beyond the browser app on the tablet, you can download “branded” apps connecting you directly with news resources. Apps available on tablets include Dallas News (Dallas Morning News), CNN, Fox News and other news outlets. Both Apple and Android have apps providing direct access to news-related content.
Tablets on the Go with Mobile Connection
Thinking of taking a road trip across town or cross country? Or maybe just to the grocery?
Tablets are small, lightweight and very portable! When you need access to content beyond the reach of a WiFi network, some tablets are built with mobile wireless cellular connectivity.
Mobile wireless connectivity allows access to internet news (and other internet content) without WiFi. The tablet would use a mobile wireless cellular (4G, 5G) connection for internet access on the go.
Data Plan for Tablets on the Go?
Mobile wireless connectivity is the basis for discussions in and around the “data plan”. The mobile network plan you select is paid monthly.
Companies providing mobile wireless communication include AT&T Wireless, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless and many more. Lower cost and pre-paid mobile plans are available at Metro by T-Mobile; and others.
Mobile Network Connections – Know Before You Buy
The ability for a tablet to connect to a mobile network must be determined before you purchase the tablet.
Mobile wireless connectivity is built in to the tablet and increases the price of the device. However, most mobile network providers have holiday sales that include the mobile device with a data plan. Shop around for the best deal.
Mobile Network Tablets – Important Points to Know Recap
Here is a quick recap:
• Tablets use either free wireless internet connectivity or plan-based cellular connectivity.
• Tablets are ideal for keeping current with world events, financial information and local or international news.
• Tablets are lightweight, easy to carry and portable.
• Tablets are excellent for texting, emails or video calls and Zoom meetings.
Tablets Put a Library at Your Fingertips
If reading books in digital form (ebooks) is on your device must-have list, a tablet is an outstanding choice!
Apple and Android tablets offer public library and for-purchase apps giving you easy and quick access to reading.
For accessing Public Library material – the Linda and Overdrive apps are free and available in the Apple App Store and Android Google Play Store. When using using Linda or Overdrive, you do need a library card from a municipal library to check out reading material.
Amazon Kindle Ebooks and E-reader
One of the most popular reading apps is Amazon Kindle for iPad and Android. Kindle ebooks are designed as ebooks that read like actual paper.
Kindle ebooks can be downloaded directly to tablets. Or, Kindle e-readers can be purchased from Amazon. The device can hold thousands of books to keep you and your family entertained for hours. To learn more about the Kindle E-reader Family, or to purchase a device, visit the Kindle page.
Lightweight and Easy to Take Everywhere
Indulge your life-long passion for reading using both the Public Library and Amazon Kindle apps and only carry your tablet. Tablets are great for travel or your daily routine!
If mobility and ease of use/access is high on your electronic must-have list, then a tablet is the best choice.
• Tablets come in several sizes and can be tucked into a day bag, briefcase or tote.
• Tablets use touch to navigate and do not require keyboards or a mouse.
• There is no long boot-up or start-up as may be experienced with a computer.
• On the tablet, to log in simply enter your 4- or 6-digit Personal Information Number (PIN).
• You will have Messages, Emails, Internet Browsers and many, many apps waiting for your selection.
Games on Tablet – Solitaire, Crosswords, Sudoku and 1000’s More
If card and/or other games are high on your device must-have list – the tablet once again is your go-to move!
Be a gamer on Apple or Android tablets. Games include Solitaire, Crossword, Sudoku, brain-health – and so many, many more. Games are available on mobile devices – and so much fun on the larger tablets.
Content Streaming on Tablets – Movies, Music, TV and More
Another wonderful way to enjoy content on any mobile device, especially tablets – is Entertainment!
You can easily listen to radio and music; watch TV and movies (called “Streaming”) using Streaming Apps.
And tablets make it so easy to learn from videos using YouTube! YouTube videos are accessible at no charge on tablet or mobile (although there is also now YouTube Premium, available at a monthly fee).
Some of the most popular streaming services include Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Apple TV+, CBS All Access, Disney+, HBO Max and Peacock. Streaming services are available by monthly subscription. Many streaming services cost under $10 per month and do not require a contract. ‘No contract’ means the service can be canceled at any time with no penalty.
Which Tablet to Get? Factors to Consider
Purchasing a tablet is like buying any other important item. For example, when buying a car, there is careful consideration. Buyers examine the options: Do I need a Chevy Suburban or will a Mini Cooper serve my needs better?
To get the right tablet – think about what you want to do with a tablet.
Where do the following features fall on your must-have list?
1. Ease of access in sharing texts, emails, photos
2. Internet access – news and information
3. Reading both library and paid-for material using apps
4. Mobility – tablets are so easy to carry
5. Games and Entertainment.
If, as many others, you really don’t know what you want to do with a tablet or a computer, use this list of favorite things to do with tablets (or any smart device) in deciding if a table is right for you. In my next article, I’ll share with you whether a laptop (or a desktop) computer is a better decision.
What Tablet Platform – Apple or Android?
Finally, which technology “platform” should I consider? Do I get an Apple iPad or an Android tablet?
Each device is supremely powerful and full of features, options and apps.
• Back to my car analogy – both the Chevy and the Ford autos do the same thing and get you to your destination in style, comfort, and ease.
• Apple and Android tablets offer the same access to the Internet, have text messaging ability and incorporate apps for gaming, entertainment and much more.
• Different brand tablets provide the same functionality, speed, and security.
Apple vs Android – The Deciding Factors
• If you currently use an Apple iPhone as your mobile phone –
then iPad may be the better choice.
• If you currently use an Android as your mobile phone –
then an Android tablet may be the better choice.
• Choose the mobile device brand your friends and family are already using.
• Do you need mobile network access? Decide before you buy.
• Mobile network providers have package deal pricing for
Tablets + Mobile Network Data Plan.
• In general, Android has less expensive models.
Whatever brand mobile device those around you use (friends or family) – a wise move is usually to get the same device or platform they have. By doing so, you have a go-to person (or people) for basic questions and support.
The Data Plan … do you need mobile network cellular access? Will there be many instances when you are not within a WiFi network – and would want to access the Internet or read email?
Both Apple and Android have many tablet options at varying prices. I use both platforms every day. Both Apple and Android models provide easy, quick, and safe access to my Internet, reading, gaming and content-sharing tasks.
When you think ‘I Need Help Using Technology‘ – think ‘M.A.T.T.’
Your Personal Technology Training Resource –
Mature Adults Tech Training
When you think of technology – from mobile devices to Internet resources – call on the mature adult technology training experts at Mature Adults Tech Training.
We specialize in helping adult students ages 55+ get comfortable with technology use. We help mature students learn to use their tech!
Help the mature adult close to you learn – and master – their technology.
Be Your Own Computer Guru!
TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR TECH
• Tired of waiting for the family ‘tech guru’ to help you learn – or set up – that new smart phone?
• Or maybe you got a new iPad and cannot figure out just one small (but important!) function that you really need?
• Is your new laptop sitting alone alone and neglected in the corner because you do not know how to add and configure the anti-virus software?
• Or even, what anti-virus software to get?
• And what about regular data backups?
Are YOU Tech Aware and Tech Savvy?
We Help You Take Control of YOUR Tech!